Comparison with other APIs for new users

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:29 AM

I'm looking to do some HTML parsing in the near future and am starting to look at some of the APIs out there.  I came across HTML Agility Pack first (which is mentioned in the project bio) and would like to know how this project compares to it.  I will download the code and compare them myself, but it would still be useful to have some kind of feature matrix or brief discussion of the motivation of creating another HTML parsing API.

Many thanks for sharing your hard work.

Coordinator
Nov 27, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Well, the only real similarity is that is parses html; just like all other tools. Each has their own perks and niches but they are all in essence the same thing. This library is designed for *simplicity*. It's used to get up an parsing within a matter of minutes.

You should really only create another parser if the ones out there just don't meet your requirements or:

- If they are not in the language you want
- If they are old or not supported (not active)
- If the performance of the api is a problem.

I wrote this api 2 1/2 years ago (but only now published it). Back then I couldn't find a C# api for doing silent parsing (parses without returning errors) so sat down and wrote this one with the design goal of making it simple.

I hope it helps.

...and you're welcome.